Propylene Glycol UK:
Propylene glycol uk is a viscous colorless liquid. It is also called 1,2-propanediol or propane-1,2-diol. Propylene glycol is a synthetic liquid substance that absorbs water. It can be harmful if swallowed or inhaled, although this would most likely only happen through an industrial environment.
Propylene glycol As humectant:
Propylene glycol is used In cosmetics and personal care products, propylene glycol is used as a humectant (meaning that it helps the product maintain its moisture content) and solvent. Propylene glycol also functions as a carrier, or base, for other cosmetic ingredients. It can also be used to reduce the thickness or viscosity of a formula. And propylene glycol is used in food coloring mixtures, frozen dairy desserts, cake mixes, icings, flavored syrups, beverages, and various processed foods.
Isopropyl Alcohol is also a very important ingredient in hand sanitizers. It makes up the vast majority of the compound contains 62% ethyl alcohol and 38% water. The isopropanol's purpose is to kill germs on the hands of those using it, usually by denaturing or breaking down the protein found in bacteria, fungi, viruses, etc.
MonoPropylene Glycol present in nature:
Propylene glycol is found naturally in some foods and plants. For example, it’s found in egg yolks, some fish (including tuna, trout, and herring), mushrooms, wheat, and broccoli.
Uses of Propylene Glycol UK:
Propylene glycol can be used as:
Humectant. Solvent. Carrier (base) for other cosmetic ingredients. Reduces thickness or viscosity of formula. Food coloring mixtures. frozen dairy desserts. cake mixes. icings. flavored syrups. beverages and various processed foods.
Health effects of propylene glycol:
- Eyes – eye contact may result in mild transient irritation. May cause eye irritation. If it enters the eyes will initially cause tearing and possibly additional effects including corneal injury. If it enters the eye, immediately wash your eyes with plenty of water for several minutes. Get medical attention if pain or irritation persists.
- Skin – generally considered non-irritating; however, wet skin may result in rapid absorption and possible systemic effects. (Symptoms of over-absorption include headache, nausea, vomiting, and tuberculosis.) Repeated or prolonged excessive exposure can also produce general fatigue and weakness. Based on experience with similar substances, it is not expected to be a sensitizer or cause allergic reactions.
- Inhalation – in the presence of air, its vapors are extremely flammable. Vapors can flow along surfaces to a distant ignition source and flashback. Prolonged inhalation exposure may result in general systemic effects (drowsiness, headache, nausea) and central nervous system findings (irritability, restlessness, excitability). Inhalation of very high concentrations may cause CNS depression and asphyxiation.
- Ingestion – usually non-toxic; however, stomach irritation with nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea may occur. Maybe metabolized to carbon monoxide causing symptoms mimicking those of carbon monoxide poisoning. Death has occurred following ingestion of large amounts of ethylene glycol, another similar compound. If ingested, call a physician or poison control center immediately.